Met with the DA on Friday. Was hoping to get this bogus ticket
dismissed. Guess I was wrong. The DA was not interested in hearing what I
had to say.... only said he could reduce the fine amount. I even tried
explaining to him what happened... nope, didn't want to hear it. All he
said was it was between the deputy and I and if I wanted to ask him
questions then he would set a trial date and mail me the info... it
would probably be in thirty days or so.
Yeah and I thought about
getting a lawyer, but everyone I have talked to about this thinks I have
a pretty good case on my end... I know the law, I know the elements of
the law and that reason alone is enough to let the judge know I did
nothing fitting the elements of the crime. I have to go in and keep a
cool head, but I do have plenty of questions for that deputy. The DA
says (and not knowing how he got this out of the three sentence
statement in the narrative from the officer) that it sounds like the
deputy was just frustrated and sick of dealing with me.... still, not
enough for a DC ticket... since I did nothing under the elements of the
state statute for disorderly conduct.
On the other hand, some
people are telling me to just pay the ticket and let it go. I would, if I
knew I deserved it. There's only been two other tickets I have ever
fought in my lifetime, because I know if I got the ticket I did it and
am more than willing to pay for the consequences. But this one, I did
not deserve. Therefore I am fighting. Most others have been traffic
violations, some ordinance violations, but the only other two I fought
were.... and here's good stories behind both... one was for prowling and
the other for violation of ball playing regulations.
Seriously.
The
prowling one, a friend and I were playing a game we invented called
"Prowler" and just so happens well, we had nowhere to play (all the
parks int he city are closed from 11 pm to 7 am) so we made the city
block I live on our boundaries. Just so happens I lived half a block
away from the PD, and as I was on the sidewalk looking around the corner
for my prey, an off duty officer comes out of the PD claiming I was
looking in the windows of the house on the corner. He chased and dragged
me back to the PD and had an on duty officer come write me a ticket for
prowling. That one was thrown out no problem.
The other one was
for violation of ball playing regulations. Basketball. There's a nice
park on Sand Lake Road with a basketball court so I was up there playing
one night.... it was about 1040 ish (remember the park closes at 11)
when an officer steps out and tells me they got a complaint about me
playing basketball so if I left he would appreciate it. No problem, I
left. Few nights later, I was out there about the same time, and an
officer walks over to me from Kwik Trip across the street, munching on
pretzels and Gatorade, and tells me I need to leave because the park
will be closing soon. I said OK and I left.
Just after 1030 a few
nights later, I'm out there playing basketball and a squad car flies up
to the curb, steps out and yells across the court "Holly get over here
and give me your driver's license!" I asked why (yeh I was young and
rebellious) and he says "because you've been told you can't be out here
playing ball this late and we've been out here a few times for you
playing ball this late so tonight you're getting a ticket."
I was
like, "a ticket for what?" and he replied for violation of ball playing
regulations.... I was at the other end of the court, he was on the
other side of the fence, and I was pissed, so I whipped the basketball
across the court at him and it bounced off the fence next to him. He
yelled "Do you wanna go to jail for disorderly conduct?" I said no and
then he yelled for me to get over there and give him my ID.
This
is the same officer that wrote me the prowling ticket. So he gives me
the ticket and I asked him if the park is open til 11 why can't I play
basketball until 11?
He says the park is open til 11, but there's
a city ordinance saying no one can play basketball in any city park or
playground between the hours of 1030 pm and 7 am.
The ticket was
dismissed because even though it's a city ordinance, it''s not posted
anywhere in the city in any of the parks or playgrounds. I told the city
attorney that and he agreed.
So those were the only other
tickets I've ever got that I've fought, because, come on now... they
were both pretty bogus. As was this one. We'll see what happens at
trial. Bring it on, 132!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Show me some love with some comments!