I used to say that 4th
of July is my favorite holiday because we “get drunk and blow shit up!”
I’m 30 now. Not
sure that could still apply.
Oxford has
always been my favorite place to see the fireworks. Probably because it is an
all weekend event with a carnival and softball tournaments and their fireworks
show includes ground displays and music; it also lasts nearly a half an hour.
Right at 10 p.m. they turn off the lights on the softball diamond, start
playing the National Anthem, and when it gets to the line “and the rockets’ red
glare” they shoot off red rockets, then a ground sign that says welcome. The
red rockets scare me every time, even though I know they are coming. They also
light up an American flag to the tune of “Born in the USA” then a sign that
says good night prior to the finale. Of course, anyone will argue that their
hometown or favorite fireworks show is the best, but I say Oxford is.
I always hated
when the 4th fell on a Sunday or the rain date for the fireworks
ended up landing on a Sunday night because we would always race to get there
after Sunday evening church service and me being the anxiety-laden child I was,
always worried that we would miss them or be too late to obtain a good spot to
see. But we always made it in plenty of time. I even remember being able to go
to the Dells show with Michele and Beth one Sunday 4th, and Bart and
Alison and the kids to the Rapids one year. We were kind of spoiled because
Oxford always has theirs on the Saturday closest to the 4th, so many
times it was possible to see more than one fireworks display; Oxford on
Saturday and Dells or Rapids or wherever else on the actual 4th.
I remember one
year filming the Dells show with my gigantic, clunky VHS-C camcorder from the
roof of my friend’s downtown apartment. I still have that honking thing.
The following
year I went with some of my friends to Moon Rock to watch the fireworks. We had
to walk around the park about six blocks and go at it from the other side
because the Police Explorers guarding the park would not let us walk through
the ball diamond where they were setting up the fireworks. Once we got to Moon
Rock one of the guys found it funny to light bottle rockets and launch them at
people in boats on the river below. That was during my rebel phase, but that
night ended on a sad note when one of us received a phone call bearing bad
news. R.I.P. Josh.
Later that night
we all went back to a friend’s house because my friend wanted to “pay back” his
neighbor. I mean those guys were real jerks, and that is putting it nicely.
Almost immediately after lighting a few small fireworks of our own in the
parking lot, this guy was over getting in everyone’s face, yelling that we woke
him up when he was sitting outside just a few minutes prior, threatening to run
us over with his car, etc. I “just happened to be” filming our backyard show
and this entire scene… and the police confiscated my camcorder for evidence so
they could watch the tape and decide who was going to be charged! I got it back
like a week later, and the neighbor was cited for disorderly conduct.
We also got in
trouble later that year, on my 20th birthday. Two friends and I were
down at Moon Rock lighting bottle rockets and firecrackers into the river and
people freaked out thinking the booms were gunshots. That was kind of
embarrassing because all the officers who arrived knew I was not old enough to
drink… including one I went to high school with and all my friends had a crush
on… ok I did too… they made us carry all our remaining beer back to the PD and
had us dump it out in the gutter in front of the PD. That was the first and
only time I ever received an underage drinking citation… along with one for
trespassing and another for illegal fireworks…
Then I spent a
few years in La Crosse and again had the luxury of enjoying two fireworks
shows. Onalaska would hold their “Salute to the 4th” celebration
usually on the Sunday evening closest to the 4th and everyone else
had theirs on the 4th. I remember seeing the Bangor show with my
brother’s family after spending the day cooking out at a friend’s house nearby.
But usually the place to be is Riverside Park in downtown La Crosse on the 4th,
where the fireworks are shot off over the Mississippi River from Pettibone Park
across the water. That is more than a crowd and a half to deal with. Another
year up there I had to work 2nd shift on the 4th so I
barely got to see any fireworks, but my roommate and I made up for it by
shooting off our own from the beach later that night.
It was after
Onalaska’s Salute to the 4th in 2009 that Zach and I started dating.
The following year I was back home for the summer and had not heard from him in
a while. I was on my way to Oxford fireworks with a co-worker when my phone
rang. The caller ID showed a La Crosse number that I did not recognize. I was
actually in the middle of telling my co-worker the story of how we met, when I
answered the phone. It was Zach, calling me from a pay phone because his cell
phone was broken!
In 2012 Zach and
I went to our first Madison Mallards baseball game. We did not realize until we
got there that Rhythm and Booms was also that night… in the same park! I
remember always begging to go to that as a kid but we never got the chance to,
and now we ended up there without even planning on it! So after the Mallards
game we followed the crowd to the other side of the park and enjoyed a great
show. We had Army paratroopers land on the ground directly in front of us, they
shot live howitzers across the bay, the fireworks were pretty close set to
music, and afterwards we jammed out with a small, but fun, crowd to a reggae
band.
Last year on the
4th we went to Aunt Rusty and Uncle Ed’s on Lake Kegonsa and I got
to go tubing for the first time, which is now something I can cross off my
bucket list. It was a little scary but a heck of a blast. Then we lit pooping
dog snake fireworks on the deck.
This year Zach
and I enjoyed our local fireworks in Baraboo on Friday the 4th, then
Saturday we went to Costa Ricky’s for a few before heading to Oxford. We did
that last year also… that may become our new tradition. Although I did promise
Zach that one of these years we would go check out Castle Rock fireworks, but
those are almost always the same night as Oxford’s. However, if we could spend
the day on a boat and see them from the river, then maybe I would not be as
opposed.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Show me some love with some comments!