I've been wanting to go back to school basically since I graduated from
WTC in May of 2007. Several people I was in contact with had told me
that it wasn't worth my time and money to go on to school because I will
never work in law enforcement. I barely made it through my degree
program at Western to begin with... I was told several times by my
instructors in my final semester that if I missed ANY more classes they
wouldn't let me graduate. Then came a time when I knew I wasn't going to
work in the CJ system anywhere, but wanted to finish school just to say
I finished something. I was also the first one in my family to attend
college, let alone graduate from college. When I was in high school, I
had no direction for a future whatsoever. So just to go and finish
something that was an overwhelming struggle at times was a HUGE
commitment and honor.
But now I would like to go back. I've been
through several struggles in my lifetime, and I'm only a quarter of a
century old but I have so many interests and dreams and ambitions I feel
like there's not enough time to do it all so I just give up and say why
do any of it?
What the heck? I'm gonna do it anyway. I would
like to major in Sociology and minor in Criminal Justice because even
though I may never be able to work patrol or as an officer as I had
originally wanted to do since I was 7 years old, with a Bachelor's in
Sociology I can still work alongside these careers just not in the same
capacity.
I am also interested in Journalism and photography (I
miss my camera BIG time!!!) and would love to maybe find a college that I
can do a double minor in with journalism and CJ, it's a possibility
since I already went to TC for CJ, many of those credits may transfer.
Honestly I have no idea what I am doing because again, I somewhat have
no direction except from what I've been praying about. Just trying to
take one day at a time and let God lead where he wants me.
I've
also been researching looking in youth services. I decided last year
that I would like to work with at risk youth in some way although not
sure how. I have figured out that the La Crosse area would truly benefit
from a place for young adults who don't drink to go and hang out at
night to keep them out of trouble. Think about it... for 18-21 year olds
first of all, those who are old enough to be out of the house at night
but not old enough to be in a bar. Second, for those of age who do not
drink, where is there to go just to hang out in this town after say,
10-11 at night? There is none. The YMCA is full of little kids and
families (in my experience) plus they close at 9-10 pm, all the coffee
shops in the area are closed by 11 pm, there's the skating rink on the
south side of town that's also closed early at night, the mall is closed
by 10, what's left to do? Cause trouble... and the local agencies
wonder why there is such a large problem with underage drinking in this
area.... drinking in general is a major issue around here.
So
some friends and I got to talking and feel this city would benefit from a
non alcoholic night club. Or considered having a roller rink during the
late afternoon/evening hours and dance floor at night. Just a safe
place to go to hang out, relax, enjoy yourself with friends, listen to
awesome music, have a good time. And be open til 2-3 a.m. every night. I
think it would be awesome.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Show me some love with some comments!