Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Homework Inspiration

Tonight in class we were talking of personal stereotypes and biases. Also of how laws and norms have changed over the years. We have to write a reflection paper on something we talk about or learn or discuss in class every week and it reminded me of this note I wrote on facebook.... from when I was in jail in January of 2009.



I was thinking earlier how I remembered as we drove past the courthouse Austin would occasionally ask what this big building was. I never knew how to explain that to a 4 yr old. The only way I can think to explain it to him is that it's where grown ups get sent for a time out. Nope. He was too smart for that. "The police come and take them away and that's where they put them?" Yeah, that kid's brilliant. Just like his Aunt Holly. Too smart for her own good. And that's why she keeps getting brought back? No. She keeps getting brought back because she's a stubborn woman who has a problem following the rules of society, aka laws/ordinances/statutes/etc.

So this is how it works. As a baby, you cry, you get attention. As a toddler, you begin to explore on your own and learn the dangers of things from your own mistakes, such as touching something hot hurts you so you don't do it again. Unless you like pain, of course. Your parents teach you right from wrong and you answer to them for your wrongdoing. Once in school, you answer to the teacher(s) or the principal. AND your parents when you get home! Talk about double jeopardy! As an adult, you answer to the laws of society and the police officers counted on to enforce those laws. They, in essence, take you to answer to a judge. Once we die, we'll answer to the final judge: GOD. In a workplace setting, we answer to the supervisor/boss and if we don't like what they have to say we can go find one who does. If that boss is breaking the rules, he has a boss somewhere.

My point is this: everyone answers to somebody. Whether or not we like it, whether or not we may even know it. Traffic rules. Rules of the playground. Policies in the workplace. Laws in society. House rules. Landlord's rules. Rules we've instilled into our children for their safety and our sanity. No shoes, no shirt, no service. Codes of conduct. Bylaws. Regulations. Do not. Can not. Will not. Shall not. May not.
So do I have a problem with authority? No. I have a problem with following rules, in turn, having a problem with those in charge of enforcing them. There's a difference. Yeah, I know. Behave and I won't have a problem with the latter. Correct?

LOL I guess it's all in how the individual perceives it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show me some love with some comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...